Randolph County, Arkansas


Circuit Clerk's Office:

  1. How is a person selected for jury duty? A person can be selected for jury duty by one of two methods. The selection can be based upon either their driver's license OR their voter registration. 
  2. How does a person file for a divorce? This is a question for an attorney. Our office does not have an attorney on staff, therefore we are not able to answer legal questions or offer legal advice.


County Clerk's Office:

  1. Where do I go to get my marriage license and what is required?  Marriage licenses are issued in the County Clerk's Office. Both parties (bride and groom) must be present, both must have a driver's license (or state issued ID) and social security card (if available). The cost of a marriage license is $60.00. Cash or check ONLY. ***IF YOU ARE UNDER THE AGE OF EIGHTEEN, BOTH PARENTS MUST SIGN AND THEN A 5 DAY WAITING PERIOD MUST BE MET BEFORE A MARRIAGE CAN TAKE PLACE.
  2. How soon can I use my marriage license? A marriage license can be used the same day it is issued if both parties are 18 years of age or older. If one or both parties are under the age of 18, the license can be used 5 days after the parents have signed.
  3. How long do I have to record my marriage license once I am married?  Recording your license is simple and necessary! You have 60 days from the date your license is issued to USE AND RECORD it. As soon as possible, after the ceremony, come back to the County Clerk's Office and record your license to avoid the $100.00 fine. At this point we give you some certified copies and all the paperwork necessary for a name change.
  4. What is a DBA?  DBA stands for Doing Business As and is also referred to as an Assumed Name. This document is for businesses.
  5. When do I need a DBA? Generally a bank will require a DBA in order to set up an account for banking purposes.
  6. Where can I register to vote? All citizens can register to vote at the following locations: County Clerk's Office, County Library, Department of Human Services, State Revenue Office (DMV) & http://www.sos.arkansas.gov/elections/Documents/Voter%20Reg%20App%20Rev.%20July%202012%20(Fillable).pdf
  7. When is the last day to register before an election? The last day to register for an election is 30 days prior to election day for new registrants. If you are transferring registration from another address or county, updated registrations will be accepted until 4 days before election day.
  8. If I have a felony conviction can I register to vote? Once the conviction is satisfied, all probation is complete and all fees/fines are paid, a registrant must then bring proof to the County Clerk's Office in person and only then may they register to vote.
  9. What is a poll worker? A poll worker is a regular citizen who is a registered voter and has shown interest in helping with elections and has been approved by the CBEC and Election Coordinator to work at the polls on election day.
  10. How can I become a poll worker? A person may indicate interest in being a poll worker by coming by the County Clerk's Office to speak with Election Coordinator for Randolph County.
  11. How do I vote absentee? A voter may call the County Clerk's Office to request an absentee ballot to be sent by mail or may come by the County Clerk's Office to pick one up in person. A person may also pick up a ballot for up to two (2) more people at their request.
  12. Can I register to vote before I turn 18? Yes. Registering up to six (6) months before your 18th birthday ensures that you will be elligible to vote in any election that falls on or after your 18th birthday.
  13. Can I see a probate record? With the exception of adoption records and any sealed records, all probate files are a matter of public record and can be viewed, upon request, by the public at any time.
  14. Where can I find the County Clerk's Office? The County Clerk's Office is located on the square at 101 East Broadway, Suite A, Pocahontas. 
  15. If I register to vote, does that mean I will be called for jury duty? Jury duty selection is based upon two things: a driver's license or voter registration. Therefore if you already have a driver's license, you are already in the selection pool for jury duty. Avoiding registering to vote does NOT remove you from that selection pool if you already have a driver's license or get a driver's license at a future time.

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       Back to Top

Road Department:

  1. How wide is the right-of-way on a county road? The gravel roads and some of the paved cuonty roads have 50' right-of-ways (25' from the center in both directions). However, roads that were constructed with state or federal aid have varying widths of right-of-way and would need to be researched for the width at a particular location.
  2. Will the County Road Department install a culvert for my driveway? Yes, however the landowner will be responsible for buying the first culvert. Before making your purchase, call the county judge to have it sized.
  3. Will the county put gravel on my private drive? The county cannot put gravel on a private drive. If it is a public road (mail or school bus route), it is legal to maintain the road.
  4. What days and hours is the Transfer Station open? The Transfer Station is normally open Monday through Friday. The gates are opened at 8:00 am and you should arrive in time to be unloaded before 4:00 pm. **Please note that there are only two employees at the Transfer Station and the job itself often keeps them outside. Kindly consider this when calling their office.
  5. When and where does the Quorum Court meet? The regular monthly meeting of the Randolph County Quorum Court is on the second Thursday of every month, 7:00 pm, held in the courtroom, located in the upstairs of the courthouse.

Back to Top

Tax Collector's Office:

  1. When are tax statemtents mailed? Tax statements are mailed by the first week in March each year unless there are extenuating circumstances. If you do not receive a tax statement by the first of April, please do not assume you do not owe taxes; contact our office at 870-892-5491. Mortgage companies request statements on parcels of real estate if taxes are held in escrow accounts; they do not pay personal property taxes. If you receive a tax notice for your home and you have an escrow account, it means your mortgage company did not request your statement. If this happens, please follow up with your mortgage company, then advise us as to what we need to do.
  2. Who do I make my checks or money orders payable to? Make your check or money order payable to Norma Pickett, Randolph County Tax Collector.
  3. Will you mail me a paid receipt? If you pay by mail and want a receipt, please include a stamped, self-addressed envelope with your payment. Otherwise, you may pick up a copy at the office.
  4. I got my statement, but have misplaced it. Can I get another copy? Is there a charge? You can get a copy of your statement or receipt at any time; we will be happy to email, fax or mail it. There is no charge for this service.
  5. Can I make partial payments on my taxes? Yes, a county collector may authorize the county's taxpayers to pay current real property and personal property taxes in installments of any amount between the first business day in March and October 15th inclusive (ACA26-35-501) as long as all delinquent personal taxes are paid. Partial payments cannot be accepted on delinquent taxes. All ad valorem taxes levied on the real and personal property of utilities and carriers are due and payable in installments, with one-fourth of the total due between the first business day of March and the third Monday in April, one-fourth between the third Monday in April and the second Monday in June and the remaining one-half between the second Monday in June and October 15 inclusive. If October fifteenth falls on a Saturday, Sunday or holiday observed by the United States Postal Service, the taxes shall come due and payable the following business day that is not a holiday observed by the United States Postal Service.
  6. Do I have to pay taxes before I get or renew my car license? If you have any delinquent personal taxes, they must be paid by cash, money order or cashier's check before we can give you clearance for car tags. If you owe delinquent taxes from another county, you can bring a money order payable to that county and we will mail it to them and ask them to lift the block so you can get your tags.
  7. Why do I have to pay school taxes? Regardless of whether you have children in school or not, the majority of your taxes go to the school district in which you and your property are located. Our public school system is supported through taxes. The school millage is voted on each year in September.
  8. What are the penalties if I cannot pay my taxes by the deadline? Immediately after the deadline, a 10%penalty is added to all taxes that have not been paid. After the list of taxes that are not paid has been published in the newspaper (as required by law), a 10% per annum interest fee, a $2.50 redemption fee and a $1.50 advertising fee will be added to each delinquent real estate parcel. An advertising fee of $1.75 will be added to each personal property parcel. Please note: ONLY cash, money orer, debit or credit card will be accepted for payment of delinquent personal property taxes. Checks will be accepted for payment of all other delinquent taxes. Please call the collector's office for the amount due before you mail in any payments. All payments thta are not correct will be returned to the sender for the correct amount due; partial payments cannot be accepted on delinquent taxes.
  9. If I don't pay my real estate taxes, can I lose my property? If your real estate taxes are delinquent for two consecutive years, your property will be certified to the Commissioner of State Lands (COSL) for non-payment of taxes. After certification, you will no longer be able to make payments to the county collector. All taxes and additional fees must be paid to the COSL. You may visit their website at www.cosl.org to educate yourself on their practices and policies or you may call them at (501) 324-9422.
  10. Can anyone buy property at a public auction? Yes. Go to the Land Commissioner's website for more information.
  11. Am I eligible for a veteran tax discount? If you are a 100% service connected, permanently and totally disabled veteran, surviving spouse or child of a veteran and are receiving Dependency and Indemnity Compensation, you must bring your benefit letter that you receive from the Dept. of Veteran's Affairs to the Collector's Office EVERY YEAR by October 15th to receive your DAV exemption. After the October 15th deadline, NO EXEMPTIONS can be given (NO EXCEPTIONS) per state law.
  12. How are taxes calculated? Taxes are calculated by multiplying the "Taxable Value" (determined by state guidelines and the Assessor's Office) by the "Millage Rate."
  13. What is a mill? A mill is one-tenth (1/10) of one cent.
  14. What is the difference between "taxable value", "assessed value" and "market value"? Taxable value is the value used to determine the amount you owe. The taxable value may reflect a "freeze" or other condition mandated by state law and may be lower than your assessed value. The assessed value is 20% of the market value of your property as established by the Assessor's Office and Arkansas Assessment Coordination Division (AACD). Market Value is the retail value of your property as determined by the Assessor's Office and AACD.
  15. Who is eligible for the tax "freeze" on real estate? You may be eligible if you are 65+ years old or if you are disabled. Check with the Assessor's Office to see if you meet the qualifications (870) 892-3200.
  16. What is a Homestead Credit? A homestead credit is a tax credit (up to $350) for any person that owns and occupies a home and maintains it is their principal place of residence. Check with the Assessor's Office to see if you meet the requirements for this credit. Only one credit is allowed per taxpayer, inclusive of credits in other states.
  17. What do I pay taxes on? Personal property taxes include cars, trucks, boats, trailers, cattle, farm equipment, etc. that were assessed the prior year according to state law. Ownership of real estate is changed by the filing of deeds when you buy or sell property during a calendar year. If you have questions concerning tax amounts or what is assessed on your personal property, or questions concerning legal descriptions, acreage or assessed values of real estate, please contact the Assessor's office at (870) 892-3200.
  18. Why are my taxes higher this year than last year? Keep in mind that you are paying personal taxes on what you owned and assessed last year; you may have traded vehicles or added a vehicle to your assessment. If your real estate taxes went up, did you build a home or make improvements or add a moblie home or shop building to your property? Check with the Assessor's Office and they can answer any questions you may have.
  19. Why do I have a Late Assessment penalty on my personal property tax bill? Personal property must be assessed every year between January 1st and May 31st (In Assessor's Office). State law requires the Assessor to add a 10% late assessment fee for anyone assessing May 31st deadline. If you have questions about a late assessment penalty, please call the Assessor at (870) 892-3200.
  20. What is the number to the Revenue (DMV) Office? It is listed under Arkansas State Revenue Office (870) 892-3147.

Back to Top